Our History

Macedonia Christian Church of the Assemblies of God, began on March 28, 1939, and duly incorporated to the State of New York in 1954. It took 15 years for the church to get incorporated because registering a church was initially not a requirement, nor was it pressing on the minds and hearts of the people.

As the roaring 20s was coming to an end, came the Wall Street crash of October 1929, plunging America into the Great Depression. Many people lost their hope for the future and some even took their lives. Out of the ashes of destruction, rose a group of people who believed in Jesus, crying He is the Lord and savior of mankind.

At the birth of the recovery, many Puerto Ricans migrated from the island seeking employment New York City. Rev. Jose Belen Hernandez, a Puerto Rican Pentecostal Pastor, saw the need to start a church for Latino immigrants in Harlem. His dream was that there would be a church in the community that would be representative of the unique power of the gospel.

Since its inception, Macedonia has been a prevalent community of worship and a notable contour in the religious landscape of East Harlem, and has remained in one of New York’s Latino communities known as “El Barrio.”

LOCATIONS THROUGH THE YEARS

Between the 1950’s through early 1960’s, Macedonia called two locations its home. The first location was 106th Street and third Avenue. The church then moved to 80 East 110th Street.

In the late 1960’s through 1970’s, the church was located at 15 East 111th St.

Finally, in 1979 through the leadership of Pastor Rev. Manuel Valentin the church moved to its present location, 340 East 106th Street.

THEOLOGICAL EDUCATION

Early in its history, Macedonia became a center of theological education and ministerial preparation, establishing itself as one of the First Pentecostal Hispanic Bible institutes in the city of New York for the Assemblies of God. First known as “Instituto Bíblico Hispano – Americano”, many denominational leaders and Pastors have been former students or teachers at Macedonia. It was the late Rev. Dr. Jose Caraballo, one of Macedonia’s most formative pastors, who began this educational endeavor and who was instrumental in establishing Bible institute branches throughout the tri-state area as well as the first Hispanic/Latino ministry program in Spanish at New York theological seminary.

ORIGIN OF THE BUILDING

The church’s present location is most notable, originally it was home to the Presbyterian Church of the Ascension. The Church of the Ascension was organized in 1909 by Italian Immigrants. The congregation met across the street of its
present location in a tent. In 1913, the church structure was built by church’s extension committee containing craftsmen and builders.

Macedonia continues the tradition that its Presbyterian brothers and sisters began early in the 20th century, that of dedicating the edifice as a house of worship in East Harlem.

MODERN DAY

The beginning of the 21st century and the world entering into the new millennium in the year 2000 posed many changes for Macedonia.

After 25 years of dedicated service to Macedonia, and the community of East Harlem, Rev. Reinaldo Romero felt from the Lord that his season as the lead pastor had come to a close and thus, he resigned his ministry at Macedonia. His official resignation was accepted by the congregation of Macedonia in April 2004.

CHANGING OF THE GUARD

In September 2004, Rev. Antonio A. Serrano was interviewed by the church board and accepted to run as a candidate for the church. He was given the opportunity to minister in word and Bible study. On Tuesday, September 29, 2004, after a week of ministering, the church held an election which resulted in Rev. Antonio A. Serrano and Rev. Haydee Serrano becoming Macedonia’s fifth leading Pastors, and its first credentialed husband and wife ministering team.

Scroll to Top